Here a couple of quilts I finished in the past week. This first is from Wanda. It was so large, I couldn’t even get it all in the picture. How long did this beauty take to piece?! I don’t think I would have the patience to finish this. Good thing I just do the quilting.
Since this is a very traditional quilt, I finished it with edge to edge feathers. Beautiful fabrics, beautiful piecing.
It’s always fun to find something interesting on the back.
This next quilt was pieced by Penny. I like how she graduated the colors from light to dark. Very striking. I made up a new all over design for this one.
You can see it better on the back. Don’t have a name for this pattern yet. Any suggestions?
I enjoyed making the red and cream quilt so much, that I decided that I would use the same pattern to make a wedding quilt for my niece, Nicole. This one is queen sized.
I again made it scrappy because I am really trying to use up my stash. Nicole said she liked olive green so I incorporated that in the border. I thought blue and green would make a nice color palette for the quilt. I had fun with the custom quilting.On the back, I added some blocks I had made in an improvisational piecing class taught by Jackie Gehring. Who says the back should be boring?Congratulations to Nicole and Josh! They were married November 15, 2014. And I’m happy to say the quilt was finished in time so that they could open it on their wedding day.
Being a professional machine quilter, I do a lot of quilting. But rarely are the quilts mine. I finish other people’s quilts. I started this quilt way back in July, I think. I start LOTS of quilts. They don’t always get finished. This one did! And it is just for me! I wanted something warm to cuddle up in when I’m watching TV.
It make it extra warm, I added wool batting and backed it with a cuddly fleece.
You may recognize this pattern from an earlier post. The setting is a variation using the curved drunkard’s path block. All the fabrics were from my stash, so this was stash busting! Those cream colored “paths” were just screaming for some feathers. Of course since it’s my quilt, I quilted my name in the center.
It looks great on my new sofa. And yes, it is very warm.
I recently finished quilting this king sized quilt pieced by Wanda. Isn’t it lovely?
Because the piecing was rather busy, it lent itself to an edge to edge design. I don’t have a computerized machine and I don’t like to follow pantograph patterns. So I have developed several free-hand designs that I “draw” with my machine. This pattern I call “Daisies”.
I like this pattern because I can vary the size of the flower and easily turn it different directions to fill the space. I like the organic look–it definitely doesn’t look like a pattern. The purple thread I used really shows on the lavender backing fabric.
This beautiful quilt was a pleasure to work on. If you have a need to get one of your quilt tops finished, I am always accepting new quilts from new and previous customers. Some like Wanda, send them to me from hundreds of miles away. My turnaround time for edge to edge quilting is currently 2 to 3 weeks. Custom quilting takes a bit longer. If you are interested, go to my Pam’s Quilting website (pamsquilting.com) for more detailed information. Or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Happy Quilting!
I’m really proud of myself for actually finishing a quilt as a gift for my daughter in law, Robyn. (OK, it really didn’t get finished until Dec 27th, but who’s counting?) It is actually done and bound. Finished!
I made up the pattern as I went along. I used a couple of charm packs of 5″ squares. (Simple Marks by Malka Dubrawsky for Moda) I sewed them randomly together into 20- 4 patch blocks. Each 4 patch was bordered by a skinny 1 1/2 inch border in a solid cream. I had extra yardage (the blue print) that I had purchased that was from the same fabric line as the 5″ squares. I then added the blue sashing (with cream corner squares) and finished it off with a 4 inch border in the same blue print. It was pretty fast to put together. If you wanted to do the same, you would need 2 charm packs, and a couple of yards of the cream and blue. The finished quilt measures aprox. 55″ x 70″–a great lap size.
Robyn wanted something cozy and warm, so I backed it with cream Minkee fabric and used wool batting. I quilted it in my all-over “daisy” pattern.
Though I didn’t finish (or even start) everything I thought of to make for gifts this Christmas, I am very pleased that this one thing actually did get finished and delivered!
What’s on my machine lately? Christine’s beautiful basket quilt. The best thing about being a quilt “finisher” is getting to “draw” and play around on quilts I didn’t have to piece! I get to be creative with a wide variety of styles, colors and patterns. As much as I like to design and paint, my machine quilting business is my “real” job.
Here’s a close up on the quilting. Christine wanted an all over design. I included leaves & curls with gold thread. All my quilting is “drawn” free hand without any patterns or the aid of a computer. The border fabric has leaves and strawberries, so I added a strawberry to each basket.
Here’s the whole quilt. I love the colors. Now it just needs the binding. It has a finished size of 75″ x 75″.