I just love the colors of Fall and especially pumpkins. And I miss them now that I’m living in the desert. It’s still Summer here with highs near 100 this weekend. I know that many of you are starting to see the colors change. Enjoy them for me, won’t you?
After decorated my classroom with a space theme, I guess I have space exploration on my mind. Are these cats amazing or what?!
Wish I could redo the painting on this one. I painted the letters blue, and then I wished I had left them white. I had the “bright” idea that I could lighten them up with “Whiteout”–which happened to be handy. BAD idea! I used my watercolor brush and quickly found out that the “Whiteout” is oil based and sticks like glue! I tried to wash the brush, but the white just got all over my fingers and won’t come off. I guess I need turpentine. And the brush is now in the garbage. And now you know–Whiteout is NOT like watercolor! And it didn’t even cover up the blue.
So even though this was a disaster, I learned from it and I still like my drawing–just don’t like how the painting came out. Shows what an amateur I am! I tried to spruce it up a bit with a border done in Picmonkey. Hope you will “SMILE” anyway.
I was going through my quilting stash and found this Halloween panel that I must have bought years ago. It was time to make something from it, so I added some 5″ charm pack squares to the sides and some of my favorite Halloween fabric for the top and bottom borders. I think it will fit nicely on my classroom door.
Don’t forget the sale in my Etsy shop: BluePumpkinStudio.com
So why am I quilting pumpkins in June? Well, this block design has been going around in my head for weeks. I love the Fall colors and pumpkins. And since our guild bi-annual quilt show is this October, I thought a pumpkin quilt would be just the thing. So I thought I would start by making one block and see how it goes.
The pumpkin itself is pieced from strips to make it scrappy. I created the stem and the black “border” (really a block within a block) with improvisational piecing to give it a wonky look. I used machine applique (with a wide satin stitch) for the leaf and vine. I also had some fun with the machine quilting.
This small wall hanging will go in the silent auction at the show. I’m hoping to make the quilt about twin sized. I have a few other quilts I have designed (in my head) that I would like to make as well. I’m not a very fast piecer, so we’ll see what happens. I’ll post my progress and maybe that will keep me on track as the summer progresses.