Baby Quilts for Charity

I thought I would check back and let you know how  I have been doing finishing my UFO’s.   Well it’s hard to dig into my pile of unfinished projects if I keep starting new ones!  But these I have at least started AND finished–and I’ve made a dent in my stash as well.  My quilt guild provides quilts for a women’s and children’s shelter in our area, so these will go to a good home.

baby quilt stack for charityInstead of trying to follow a pattern, I took fabrics that seemed to go together and just started sewing pieces together in a “Gwen Marston” fashion.

Baby in Green  IMG_0585 IMG_0580 IMG_0587I kept adding pieces until I had a quilt top about 40 x 40 inches.  Then I tried to make them a little more interesting by adding some simple applique that I attached with my long arm.  It’s “raw edge” applique so the edges might curl up a little when washed, but I think that will just add some interesting texture.IMG_0584  IMG_0586 I tried to simulate a blanket stitch on the these stars. IMG_0588It make a quick finish, I brought the backing fabric around to the front to do a mock binding.

IMG_0582IMG_0579

 

I had so much fun making these quilts.  They were simple, yet I was able to use my creativity AND use up some of my stash of fabrics.  I am ashamed to admit, that I probably have the materials on hand to make a hundred more!  I may not have time to make that many, but I will definitely make more.  It feels good to use my  time for such a worthy cause.

Now I just need to wash and dry them before our guild meeting tonight.

 

 

Advertisements

Greet the Day Quilt

Sometime ago, I painted a little painting that featured a red bird basking in the sunshine.   I thought the design would make a great applique project.  So I recently drew out the pattern and made this small quilted wallhanging.  It hangs in my front entryway.Greet the Day Quilt

I used machine applique (my preferred method because it is faster!) and added some simple quilting.  Yes, I actually pieced those little red squares!Greet the Day quilt close up.

It came out pretty close to the original painting.  So what do you think?Greet the Day 1

 

Greet the Day original watercolor painting on board 5″ x 7″.  Available in my Etsy Shop.

Cabbage Rose in Cloth

I’ve thought for sometime that my watercolor drawings would translate well into applique.  I really like how this came out.  After drawing the pattern, I transfered it to a paper back fusible.  I then cut out the separate parts of the flower and ironed them onto the blue background.  I used then a machine satin stitch to secure the edges  The block measures about 10″ square.  I haven’t done any quilting yet.Image

Here’s the watercolor drawing that was my inspiration.

Image

 I just have enough fabric to make a couple more blocks. Rather than try to make this quilt (as cute as it is)  I think I will make a table runner or wall hanging.   Then it might actually get made in this decade!   I will certainly share when I have a finished, quilted project.