I thought I would check back and let you know how I have been doing finishing my UFO’s. Well it’s hard to dig into my pile of unfinished projects if I keep starting new ones! But these I have at least started AND finished–and I’ve made a dent in my stash as well. My quilt guild provides quilts for a women’s and children’s shelter in our area, so these will go to a good home.
Instead of trying to follow a pattern, I took fabrics that seemed to go together and just started sewing pieces together in a “Gwen Marston” fashion.
I kept adding pieces until I had a quilt top about 40 x 40 inches. Then I tried to make them a little more interesting by adding some simple applique that I attached with my long arm. It’s “raw edge” applique so the edges might curl up a little when washed, but I think that will just add some interesting texture. I tried to simulate a blanket stitch on the these stars. It make a quick finish, I brought the backing fabric around to the front to do a mock binding.
I had so much fun making these quilts. They were simple, yet I was able to use my creativity AND use up some of my stash of fabrics. I am ashamed to admit, that I probably have the materials on hand to make a hundred more! I may not have time to make that many, but I will definitely make more. It feels good to use my time for such a worthy cause.
Now I just need to wash and dry them before our guild meeting tonight.
If you are a quilter, you are very familiar with UFO’s (Un-Finished Objects). Dedicated quilters (and other crafters) have a LOT of those. I have too many to count. I buy all the materials, start a project, and then move on to something else before I ever finish. Some times I just buy the fabric and never start at all! Well, I’ve dedicated this month to FINISHING! I thought I would share some of these UFO’s and then let you know in the coming days of my progress.
Here are a few of the unfinished things I found lying around. I have dozens and dozens, so I will just give you a peek at a few.
This little Halloween table topper just needs to be quilted. Maybe I will add a border.
I found these blocks on Ebay some time ago. I’d guess they are from the 50’s or 60’s. They are handpieced. I added the polka dot and navy fabrics. I have six blocks. I could probably make a little lap quilt.
This little Fall stitchery is almost done. I hope it looks cuter when is is quilted.
Same with this tiny wallhanging. It’s my first attempt at hand applique.I’m ashamed to say I have purchased whole quilt kits that I never even started. I’m not even sure I like them anymore. If I do tackle them, I will probably update the fabrics.I liked this floral fabric a lot when I bought it years ago and found some coordinating prints. I started some piecing, thinking to make it into a quilted jacket. That’s not going to happen. But it would make a nice charity quilt.Here are a couple small holiday items. It wouldn’t take much to finish them. I just have to have a reason.
Loved the unusual color scheme in these holiday prints.
These “orphan” blocks I picked up at a guild meeting. I’m sure I could combine them into nice charity quilt. Our guild makes quilts for a local shelter for women and children.Well, I could go on and on, but I will stop for now. Time to get sewing!
This week I finished a couple of charity quilts. These two were for the Quilts of Valor organization.
The first one, in red,white and blue, I quilted with an over all pattern I call Loopy Stars. It seemed appropriate.
The second was a little more whimsical in color and fabric choices so I used my Spirals pattern.
.Both of theses quilts were string pieced and used a variety of fabrics. It looks like a great way to use up scraps.
Unfortunately, I don’t know who pieced them, or I would give credit. I sent them off. The next person will bind them and then they will go to their recipients. It’s a wonderful collaboration and I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to do my part.