Recently I quilted 3 quilts made from the same pattern. They were sent to me by friends Randi, Maritza and Pam. The pattern was offered as a Block of the Month last year on the internet show “The Quilt Show” with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. The quilt features some New York Beauty Blocks and some gorgeous applique. All three of my quilt top makers did a fabulous job. With varying fabric choices, and with some variation in the applique, each looks totally different. My challenge was to do vary the quilting as well.
This first one was pieced and appliqued by Randi. Her colors are bright and cheerful.
Maritza’s quilt (except for the borders) has much lower contrast giving it a softer look. I quilted a lot of pebbles in this one.
The fabric choices in Pam’s quilt achieved high contrast. I would have never thought to use these colors, but is works!
It was a fun challenge doing these three quilts. But I am also glad they are finished and out the door!
I was browsing through some old quilt magazines today and came across an antique pickle dish block quilt. I’ve always been attracted to this pattern, but have never had the time or patience to make it. Well, now I have–not in cloth of course. (I’ll just have to add this to the other 99 quilts I would like to make). I’ve added some rose “appliques” to my version here. The triangles spikes and the curves makes a very pleasing design that I just love.
Here is an incredible quilt pieced and appliqued by Abby W. from New York state. She said it took a year and a half to complete the top. I’m not surprised. She did a wonderful job! The pattern was a block of the month offered a couple of years ago on The Quilt Show (with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims) on the Internet. It was designed by Sue Garman.
I did my best to compliment the top with combination of straight line quilting , stitch in the ditch, and freehand flowers, leaves and feathers. It took a while, but the results were worth it. The back side (last pic) looks like a whole cloth whitework quilt!
I’ve thought for sometime that my watercolor drawings would translate well into applique. I really like how this came out. After drawing the pattern, I transfered it to a paper back fusible. I then cut out the separate parts of the flower and ironed them onto the blue background. I used then a machine satin stitch to secure the edges The block measures about 10″ square. I haven’t done any quilting yet.
Here’s the watercolor drawing that was my inspiration.
I just have enough fabric to make a couple more blocks. Rather than try to make this quilt (as cute as it is) I think I will make a table runner or wall hanging. Then it might actually get made in this decade! I will certainly share when I have a finished, quilted project.
I was playing around in ipiccy.com. It’s a free photo editing website I discovered through my Webinarts online class with Leslie Saeta. I love how this “sunshine” poster turned out. I used a pic of one of my original art quilts, adding text and a frame.
I’m having so much fun coming up with something to paint every day. The inspiration for this came from a book on quilt history I got for Christmas. I love applique, but I’d much rather paint it than stitch it.