I thought I would check back and let you know how I have been doing finishing my UFO’s. Well it’s hard to dig into my pile of unfinished projects if I keep starting new ones! But these I have at least started AND finished–and I’ve made a dent in my stash as well. My quilt guild provides quilts for a women’s and children’s shelter in our area, so these will go to a good home.
I kept adding pieces until I had a quilt top about 40 x 40 inches. Then I tried to make them a little more interesting by adding some simple applique that I attached with my long arm. It’s “raw edge” applique so the edges might curl up a little when washed, but I think that will just add some interesting texture. I tried to simulate a blanket stitch on the these stars. It make a quick finish, I brought the backing fabric around to the front to do a mock binding.
I had so much fun making these quilts. They were simple, yet I was able to use my creativity AND use up some of my stash of fabrics. I am ashamed to admit, that I probably have the materials on hand to make a hundred more! I may not have time to make that many, but I will definitely make more. It feels good to use my time for such a worthy cause.
Now I just need to wash and dry them before our guild meeting tonight.